Season Mainstage Productions
Season 35 at North Coast Rep
" If only life could be a little more tender and art a little more robust."
- Alan Rickman
Directed by Rosina Reynolds
EXTENDED BY POPULAR DEMAND TO OCTOBER 8!
Mix two upper-class New Englanders, their over-privileged adult children and endless cocktails for a delightfully intoxicating evening of comedy. John arrives for dinner at his parents’ home carrying his provocative script in hand that leaves the family “shaken and stirred”. Hysterically funny and heartbreakingly poignant, THE COCKTAIL HOUR is an entertaining family reunion “on the rocks”. Join us for this free-flowing comedy that The New Yorker praised as Gurney’s “best play he has done”.
- "SIPS AND WIT. The laughter ... almost continuous." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "It makes for a deliciously funny and touching evening." – THE NEW YORK POST
October 19 –
EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 20!
From the gifted pen of America’s favorite playwright, Neil Simon, comes one of his funniest plays; a love letter to his early career as a writer for Sid Caesar’s “Your Show of Shows”. Simon recounts his writing, fighting and wacky antics during days of live television when he cavorted with such comedy legends as Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks. As you clutch your sides in laughter at their wildly witty attempts to please their terrifyingly demanding boss, you’ll see why The New York Times hailed LAUGHTER as “one of Simon’s best, most enduring and endearing plays”.
- "…a battery of yuks that barely lets up." – VARIETY
- "…pulverizingly funny." – THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
San Diego Premiere!
Directed by Matthew Wiener
January 11 – February 5, 2017
Fresh from triumphant runs in Los Angeles and New York, comes this fascinating, skillfully wrought family drama that dazzled critics and audiences alike. A finalist for the 2015 Pulitzer Prize, MARJORIE PRIME is set in the near future, a time when artificial intelligence has reached new heights, and lifelike robots provide companionship for the lonely. This smart, thought-provoking play about memory is guaranteed to inspire stimulating conversations long after you leave the theatre.
- "...conceptually intriguing." – LOS ANGELES TIMES
- "…elegant, thoughtful, quietly unsettling drama." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
Freely adapted from Pierre Corneille’s L’Illusion Comique
Directed by David Ellenstein
February 22 – March 19, 2017
Legendary playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America) displays his brilliance in this wildly inventive tour de force, which celebrates the magic and illusory nature of theatre. Using crackling, contemporary language and sheer artistry, Kushner creates his most joyfully theatrical play: a wildly entertaining tale of passion, regret, love and magic. THE ILLUSION transports you on a wondrous journey filled with laughter and a few tears along the way.
- "Fantastical…takes your breath away." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "…hilarious, dreamlike and startlingly poignant." – CHICAGO THEATRE BEAT
Adapted by Giles Havergal
Directed by David Ellenstein
April 12 – May 7, 2017
A New York Times Critic’s Pick in 2015, TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT is an engaging, always entertaining journey. Eccentric Aunt Augusta swoops in and shakes up the life of her staid bourgeois nephew. She ignites the lust for adventure that is buried within his gray flannel soul. Four highly versatile actors tackle more than 20 roles in this life-changing, offbeat odyssey. This is definitely a trip worth taking!
- "Mr. Havergal's play is a triumph of theatrical style…a transformational sleight of hand – and voice and expression – that weaves illusions out of air." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "…inventive, sparky, amusing. Makes for a lively evening." – DAILYMAIL.COM
Based on a Film by Lee David Zlotoff
Directed by Jeffrey Moss
May 31 - June 25, 2017
Honest and emotional, this heartfelt musical tells the engaging tale of a young woman with an uncertain past. A compelling heartwarming tale of redemption and fortitude.. Filled with inspirational melodies, and an emotionally soaring score, this all-American musical serves up an abundance of warmth, spirit and goodwill. Open your heart and visit THE SPITFIRE GRILL.
- "…a compelling story…soul-satisfying new musical." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "…some of the most engaging and instantly infectious melodies I’ve heard in a musical." – USA TODAY
San Diego Premiere!
Directed by Andrew Barnicle
July 12 - August 6, 2017
An uproarious comedy about a bohemian theatre troupe who find themselves performing in an Eastern European police state. However, there is more drama backstage than onstage, with romantic entanglements, political intrigue and a wildly funny climax. It’s a laugh a minute, and you’ll leave the theatre reveling in the merriment.
- "Drawing freely from several romantic and farcical traditions, Mr. Jackson has crafted his comedy with a professional theater man's eye for dressing-room detail and invented local color." – THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "AT THIS EVENING'S PERFORMANCE is a farce, and as deftly written as they come…potentially a classic of its kind." – NEW BRUNSWICK HOME NEWS
ALSO CHECK OUT OUR HOLIDAY SHOW!
The Girl Singers bring to life popular holiday songs of the 50’s including “Santa Baby” made famous by Eartha Kitt, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee, as well as favorites to sing-a-long to like “Winter Wonderland” “Silver Bells” and others in the stylings of The Andrews Sisters, Lennon Sisters and McGuire Sisters. “The Girls” will also be celebrating the music of Hanukkah. For those young at heart or just young, there’s a “Frozen” Medley.
Join us for an unforgettable evening of great music, sing-a-longs, nostalgia and laughs. A wonderful holiday musical for the entire family! Featuring Jennifer Grimm, Colleen Raye and Sophie Grimm.
Shows subject to change.
See how close you can get!!
@ North Coast Rep
BUY Your NEW